The Mission Minor Hockey Association serves over 300 young aspiring hockey players in the Fraser Valley. Our hockey programs are both recreational and competitive in scope. Mission Minor Hockey operates within the governing jurisdiction of the Pacific Coast Amateur Hockey Association, BC Hockey, and Hockey Canada. We are currently seeking a Hockey Director to provide strategic leadership, coordination, and execution of day-to-day operations across the association.
The Hockey Director of Mission Minor Hockey is responsible for the overall hockey experience, including operations, administration, reporting, and governance accountabilities. This includes direct oversight of all hockey operations including the Initiation Development Program, Recreational and Competitive Hockey. The Hockey Director reports to and works under the direct supervision of the Board of Directors. The Hockey Director leads theassociation’s efforts to offer innovative hockey programming and best-in-class competitive and recreational programs which focus athletes and coaches in a common direction with the goal of improving player skills and team play consistent with the objectives and philosophy of the association.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Provide strategic leadership in keeping with the association’s values, vision and mission.
- Work collaboratively with the Board of Directors to implement and evaluate the strategic plan.
- Manage player development initiatives and create hockey development opportunities.
- Recruit, manage, and develop volunteer coaches in the recreational and initiation development streams.
- Assist in the recruiting and development of coaches for the competitive program.
- Effectively organize and execute tryouts/evaluations and subsequent team selection processes.
- Collect and analyze feedback from parents, players, and coaches.
- Report monthly to the Board of Directors and annually to members at the Annual General Meeting.
- Facilitate coach symposiums, program meetings, and development sessions.
- Promote a positive association culture with focus on transparency and teamwork.
- Liaise with governing bodies (PCAHA, BC Hockey, Hockey Canada).
- Manage inter-hockey relations with local programs (i.e. BC Hockey Zone, Junior A & B, etc.).
- Create and innovate development programs to retain players.
- Work with the Board of Directors to resolve in-season team issues, resolve concerns, and investigate issues.
- Identify opportunities for improvement, innovation, and revenue generation.
- Development and initiate relationships with the local business community.
- Innovate and lead the Pilot Bantam program.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of strategic planning and relationship management within the amateur sports sector.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to navigate difficult conversations, investigate issues, and resolve concerns.
- Ability to develop relationships and partnerships, and to work collaboratively at all levels and areas within the organization.
- Exceptional leader with a high character and values that will set a positive example for members.
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, and occasional travel.
- 5+ years of related management experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Technical proficiency with basic computer skills.
- Valid criminal record check for the vulnerable sector.
- Previous experience in a similar capacity with an amateur sports organization.
- Playing and/or coaching experience at various levels.
- Ability and willingness to provide on-ice instruction as needed.
- Salary commensurate with experience with annual performance-based bonus available.
Deadline for applications is July 20, 2022.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for interview will be contacted.
SEND APPLICATIONS TO MISSIONMINORHOCKEY@GMAIL.COM